Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Getting lots of loving

My parents, sisters, 91 year old grandma, and Mitch's mom came to see Willa this past weekend.  Grandma last saw Willa when she was 1 pound 11 ounces.  So she was very excited to see the change.  I'm pretty sure my grandma jumped (not even kidding...I hope I can still jump when I'm 91 and use a cane!) when she came to tell me she got to hold Willa.  This week was the first time family members have been able to hold Willa so I had to include a picture of each one.  Here we go -

With Autie April
With Autie Katrina
With Autie Lexi
With Grandma Net
With Great Grandma Marshall
With Grandpa Jimmy
With Grandma MJ (Mary)

So as you can see there was no shortage of loving for Willa over the weekend.

Willa is 11 weeks old today.  She continues to gain weight consistently at about an ounce per day.  She is now 4 pounds 9.5 ounces.  She was put back on 1/16 liter of oxygen this week and has been doing well with just that little extra to help her out.  Willa had her first hearing exam and she shows no problems with her hearing.  That was wonderful news!  She also met with a physical therapist who checked to be sure her muscles are developing as they should.  She has great strength in her neck muscles.  She is still struggling with taking her feeds from a bottle.  She is up to being able to nipple 4 times per day.  She needs to get to 8.  This is the part of the NICU stay that is agonizing.  There is nothing medically wrong with Willa and this is nothing that the doctors or nurses can give meds to fix.  It's all on Willa's time right now.  She makes the decisions right now.
I did get a phone call from the writer with the Wichita Eagle and we meet on Thursday this week to talk about Willa.  Thursday is also a big day in the NICU.  Santa is coming to visit the babies!  Santa has to come to the NICU early because he gets way to many germs on his suit Christmas Eve when he delivers presents to all the houses around the world.  Not going to lie...I'm pretty excited for Santa to come :)
Unfortunately, Santa is not going to be able to get Mitch and me what we wanted this year - Willa to come home.  Since she is still struggling with taking bottles, she will be staying in the NICU a while longer yet.  I'm still hoping to have her home before my due date - January 9th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com